Monday, May 3, 2010

Twiggy Table Runner

I was so excited to get back on my sewing machine after I got it back from the spa... a.k.a. annual maintenance.  I had this project started, but while I was without my machine, I couldn't stand to let it sit so I quilted it by hand.  Then I just had to sew on the binding.  I love the way hand quilting looks though, and something small like this doesn't take too long.  It's worth it.  I think it turned out great and I love the colors.  The fabric comes from a charm pack labeled "Twiggy," I picked up on the clearance table at a local quilt shop.  Also, I have seen where others have done a splash of color on the back of their quilts and I really liked it, so I thought I'd try that too.  I took some of my extra border and binding strips and splashed it across the back.  I like it!  The inspiration for this table runner came from one on Moda Bake Shop called Sugar Cookies Table Runner.







I have always feared hexagons.  But I decided to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.  I made it simpler for me, though, by making a paper piecing pattern instead of cutting out each intricate shape.  I have used paper foundation piecing many, many times and it always works well for me.  Capt. Awesome is so smart and charming (sigh!), he made the patterns for me on the computer. I'll try to post the patterns later for anyone who wants to try them out.

No comments: